Representing People Who Have Been Wrongly Injured

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Michigan Hotel Pool Leaves 12 Hospitalized and 1 Dead

carbon monoxideEmergency officials in Michigan responded to the Quality Inn in Niles after a group of youths were discovered around the indoor swimming pool, unconscious, by a hotel staff member. Among the victims, a 13-year-old boy was found dead, while 12 others were hospitalized.

According to officials, the carbon monoxide levels at the hotel were 800 parts per million. To put that in perspective, U.S. standards for carbon monoxide are 35 parts per million for 1 hour of exposure. Niles Fire Department Capt. Don Wise believes that the pool’s heater might be to blame for this tragic incident.

Had the hotel staff member not walked past the window of the pool and noticed the unconscious children, they would have all died. However, Wise noted no one could remember when anyone last saw the children moving, though one hotel guest remembers hearing the sound of laughter, which later turned to screams.

The authorities removed and worked to resuscitate the children, and the hotel was evacuated as a measure of precaution. The swimming pool area was not equipped with a carbon monoxide detector.

Call our Personal Injury Lawyers

Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous when emitted in enclosed areas. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and poisonous gas and, if you are exposed to toxic levels of it, you may experience severe brain damage or even death.

If you or a family member has experienced carbon monoxide poisoning, you should seek the counsel of an experienced attorney who can handle such cases. At Presley & Presley, LLC, our personal injury attorneys have successfully represented nationwide clients for over 30 years in cases involving wrongful death and carbon monoxide induced brain injuries.

Call us today at (855) 981-6116 to set up a free consultation with our team.